Friends Don't Let Friends Vote Republican
I did not write this, it is from an email that was sent to me by Ann from Detroit! It makes so many points far better than I could do.
In order to be a Republican, you need to believe:
1. Jesus loves you and shares your hatred of homosexuals and .
2. Saddam was a good guy when Reagan armed him, a bad guy when Bush's Daddy made war on him, a good guy when Cheney did business with him, and a bad guy when Bush needed a "we can't find Bin Laden" diversion.
3. Trade with Cuba is wrong because the country is Communist, but trade with China and Vietnam is vital to a spirit of international harmony.
4. The United States should get out of the United Nations, but our highest national priority should continue to be enforcing U.N. resolutions against .
5. A woman can't be trusted with decisions about her own body, but multinational drug corporations can make decisions affecting all mankind without regulation.
6. The best way to improve military morale is to praise the troops in speeches, while slashing veterans' benefits and combat pay.
7. If condoms are kept out of schools, adolescents won't have sex.
8. A good way to fight terrorism is to belittle our longtime allies, then demand their cooperation and money.
9. Providing health care to all Iraqis is sound policy, but providing health care to all Americans is socialism. HMO's and insurance companies have the best interests of the public at heart.
10. Global warming and tobacco's link to cancer are junk science, but creationism should be taught in schools.
11. A president lying about an extramarital affair is an impeachable offense, but a president lying to enlist support for a war in which thousands die is solid defense policy.
12. Government should limit itself to the powers named in the Constitution, which include banning gay marriages and censoring the Internet.
13. The public has a right to know about Hillary's cattle trades, but 's driving record is none of our business.
14. Being a is a moral failing and a crime, unless you're a conservative radio host. Then it's an illness, and you need our prayers for your recovery.
15. Supporting " " for every Republican ever born, who will be born, or who might be born (in perpetuity.)
16. What did in the 1960's is of vital national interest, but what Bush did in the '80's is irrelevant.
17. Support for hunters who shoot their friends and blame them for wearing orange vests similar to those worn by the quail.
18. If you don't send this to at least 10 other people, we're likely to be stuck with more Republicans in '08.
World AIDS Day
Suffer the Children: The Smallest Victims of AIDS
Vineeth, 7 months old and identified as HIV-positive, cries at the Community Health Education Society orphanage in Madras, India.
The World Health Organization estimates 800,000 children were infected with HIV in 2001 alone, almost all through mother-to-child transmission.
Kansas, Where "Ignorant" is the New "Educated"
(Don't worry, she's almost back from holiday! In the meantime, here's another post from guest blogger, me -- SourKraut)
Voting 6-4 (all Republicans, coincidence?) the Kansas State Board of Ignorance approved a new set of "science" standards that specifically challenges the teaching evolution in it's schools.
"This is a great day for education. This is one of the best things that we can do," said board chairman Steve Abrams, who is on record as saying evolutionary theory is incompatible with the Bible's version of God's creation of life on Earth.
Huh? When did religious studies become a science subject? Whether you believe in evolution or not (and the world is flat too!), creationism is not a subject matter for the science room. The best commentary I've seen on the subject has been at Scientific American.
"...[the Kansas State Board of Education] don't think they are lowering the standards--to the contrary, they think they are raising them. That's how you can tell they are dimwits."
I couldn't have said it better myself.
Update: Sanity breaks out in Pennsylvania; voters throw out local school board that promoted "intelligent-design"